If you are going through a separation or divorce, mediation may be a viable option to resolve issues related to custody, access, support, and property division. In mediation, a neutral third party – the mediator – assists the parties in negotiating a mutually agreeable settlement. While mediation is often less adversarial and less expensive than going to court, it is still important to have a family law lawyer by your side to ensure your rights and interests are protected.
Here are some ways a family law lawyer can assist you in family law mediation:
- Preparing you for mediation: Your lawyer can help you understand the mediation process and what to expect during the sessions. They can also help you identify your goals and interests and develop a strategy to achieve them. You should get advice before signing any mediation agreement to ensure that understand the terms of the agreement.
- Reviewing your mediated settlement agreement: Once a settlement has been reached, your lawyer can review the agreement to ensure that it is fair and reasonable and that all legal requirements have been met. They can also help you understand the long-term implications of the agreement.
- Providing legal advice: Your lawyer can provide you with legal advice throughout the mediation process, including on matters related to custody, access, support, and property division. They can also advise you on your legal rights and obligations and help you make informed decisions.
- Advocating for you: While the mediator is a neutral party, your lawyer is there to advocate for you and protect your interests. They can help ensure that the other party is not taking advantage of you or that the settlement is not one-sided.
- Appearing in court: If mediation is unsuccessful, your lawyer can represent you in court. They can file the necessary paperwork, make arguments on your behalf, and advocate for your rights.
In summary, a family law lawyer can play a critical role in helping you navigate the mediation process and achieve a fair and reasonable settlement. If you are considering mediation, it is important to consult with an experienced family law lawyer who can provide you with the guidance and support you need. Contact Windsor family law lawyers Tanya McNevin or Thomas MacKay today by calling 519-259-1820 to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Windsor, Tecumseh, Lasalle, Essex, Leamington, Kingsville, Belle River, Lakeshore, and throughout southern Ontario.