“Legal Separation”

woman in white dress shirt and black pants sitting on gray couch
Photo by cottonbro studio on Pexels.com

Many people hire a lawyer seeking a “legal separation” after a relationship breakdown. However, in Ontario, there is no such thing as a “legal separation”. Lawyers typically deal with separation agreements or Divorce.

“Relationship breakdown is not a legal event that has some potential social consequences, it is a social phenomenon that has some legal consequences.”

Former SCC Justice Thomas Cromwell, in the Action Committee on Access to Justice in Civil and Family Matters, 2013.

A separation is when two people who were living together decide to live apart. A Divorce is when a court ends your marriage.

Either way, if you are separated you have many ways to solve the dispute with your former partner. You may want to work things out yourself, you may seek personal or couples counselling, you may want to obtain the assistance of a mediator, you may want to obtain the assistance of a lawyer, or take the matter to court.

Just as you would go to an expert if you have a problem with your car, or gallbladder, you should obtain the help of an expert if you are separating from your partner or spouse.

If you have questions about your divorce or separation, or asset or property division contact Windsor family law lawyers Tanya McNevin or Thomas MacKay today by calling 519-259-1820.   We serve clients in Windsor, Tecumseh, Lasalle, Essex, Leamington, Kingsville, Belle River, Lakeshore, and throughout southern Ontario.

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close